Thursday, April 19, 2012

This just in!

I talked with my father about his banana pudding and he confirmed that the recipe for the pudding itself did indeed come from the Nabisco 'Nilla Wafers box, but the meringue technique came from his mother. Unfortunately he hasn't made it in about six years. Hopefully he'll break that dry spell soon.

Personally, though, I can't imagine anything made with Nabisco 'Nilla Wafers tasting good these days. Is it just me or has the taste completely changed? The last time I had any they were so awful I had to toss the box. When we were kids, our great grandmother used to give us a few when we would visit with her. 'Nilla Wafers and a glass of cold milk. Ahhhhh! There was nothing like it! (Unless, of course, it was ginger snaps and a glass of cold milk.)

In other news, the conversation my father and I had has inspired a new challenge for the summer. I can't talk about it just yet because, well, it's not summer! Despite the spate of much unseasonably warm days here in NYC, the season hasn't started. So mum's the word for now. Besides, I find that the more "I'm going to" creeps into my vocabulary about a project, the less likely said project will ever see the light of day or the inside of an oven. Suffice it to say that he put a great big smile on my face when we told me "Well, good luck!" and if I can pull this one off, I know I'll put a smile on his face!

I promise I won't leave you hanging for too long about this one.

6 comments:

  1. I know what it is but I promise not to tell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that falls under spousal privilege, yes? ;)

      Delete
  2. I saw this particular show not that long ago. Consider it. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/vanilla-wafers-recipe/index.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jen. I had it in my mind to consult Mr. Brown! You saved me the step of having to look up the page. Have you tried his recipe?

      Delete
  3. It's not just you Big Brother...'Nilla Wafers are now made with by product of tree bark! Yuck! I can't even look at the box any more.:( awww! I miss Dad's Banana pudding pie! I remember when he made one at Nana' house when we were little and I couldn't wait for it to come out of the oven. The whole house smelled like delicious pie!
    Love you, MonY (Baby Sister)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Check that tree bark byproduct, little sister, because it's also in Sunkist Orange soda! Bleah!

    ReplyDelete